BENEFITS OF CINNAMON TEA
Imagine if you could choose one tea that combined depth of flavor, a sophisticated taste and aroma with solid health benefits? This Ceylon Cinnamon Tea does just that. A real tea with zero artificial or natural flavors.
To make that possible we had to start with premium quality large leaf Ceylon Tea and not the cheap tea dust which adds color but little else.
To make it brew exactly like a large leaf tea inside a tea bag, we used a nylon Pyramid Tea bag that allows the tea leaves to circulate and brew properly, releasing all it's beneficial natural oils.. But we went further and added real Cinnamon Bark Oil, the most exotic and pure form of Cinnamon you can find. And the result is a tea with exceptional quality like a fine French Wine.
1. Anti-Oxidant - Cinnamon is a powerful anti-oxidant. It has an ORAC value of an ORAC value of 267536 μmol TE/100g in ground Cinnamon according to 2007 USDA figures. Compare that to the famous Acai Berry which has a value of 102,700 or Cocoa powder which has an ORAC value of 55,653 and Cinnamon looks a pretty good bet. Especially since Cinnamon Bark Oil is a far more concentrated form of Cinnamon. Add black tea and you get an additional 313 μmol TE/100g increase in ORAC values.
Taking high quality all natural anti-oxidants helps our body mend itself, albeit slowly and gradually, from damage caused by oxidative stress such as damaged skin, diabetes, Parkinson's, ageing and Alzheimer to name a few.
2. Candida Yeast Infections - Research indicates that Cinnamon Oil kills Yeast. Since our Tea is has real Cinnamon Bark Oil it might be a treatment option for those with yeast infection. Click here to read the research and make your own decision.
3. Digestion/Indigestion/IBS – Substances in cinnamon called catechins (a type of anti-oxidant) help ease stomach discomfort, bloating, gas and indigestion. If you are in the habit of eating rich food especially dairy products which constantly upset your stomach, have a cup of Cinnamon Tea. It is one of the most powerful digestive aids you can find. It breaks down your food for optimal nutrient absorption.
4. Stomach Flu - If you have a bad case of stomach flu caused by a bacteria or virus, Cinnamon Tea will show results within minutes. The minute you drink it you will burp and the Cinnamon Oil will start to kill all the bacteria. Research shows Cinnamon is one of the most effective substances against (click the links for the research) Escherichia coli, Salmonella., Campylobacter . Another study found Cinnamaldehyde from Cinnamon Bark Oil in its various forms is effective against adenovirus. Another reason to have our Cinnamon tea which is infused with Cinnamon Bark Oil that has high levels of Cinnamaldehyde (over 75%). Read our Blog post on how to take Cinnamon for stomach bugs and flu.
5. Blood Sugar Control - There is fairly credible evidence that Cinnamon modulates our blood sugar levels. So a cup of Cinnamon Tea especially may help reduce sugar spikes especially after a heavy meal and help your body better modulate blood sugar levels. Because Ceylon Cinnamon is unusual in the fact it has low coumarin levels (read our blog post here), it has become very popular with diabetics because you can sip a cup of real Cinnamon tea almost daily without any worries.
6. Cognition, Alertness & Memory - This maybe more a function of its ability control blood sugar. The only known study of this by Dr. Zoladz at Wheeling Jesuit University suggests improved attention processes, virtual recognition memory, working memory, and visual-motor response speed. According to this study by Dr. Bryan Raudenbush, Director of Undergraduate Research and associate professor of psychology at Wheeling Jesuit University in Wheeling, WV. Cinnamon may keep you more alert and decrease your frustration when you are behind the wheel.
This hard to verify German study cited in this article
those taking Cinnamon improved their response times and memory recall.
If you are overloaded at work, making frequent business trips or a student under intense pressure a cup of Cinnamon might be the natural way to keep focused and relaxed at the same time.
7. Cervical/Colon Cancer -
It also improves the health of the colon and thereby reducing the risk to colon cancer. According to this study “
Water-soluble cinnamon extract was shown to inhibit the growth and spread of cancer in laboratory cell cultures of various types of cancer including lymphoma, melanoma, cervical and colorectal cancer. Our own research
shows that Sri Lanka, the origin of 90% Ceylon Cinnamon has one of the lowest cancer rates in the world. Coincidence. You decide.
8. Alzheimer’s Prevention - The latest finding indicate that two compounds found in cinnamon — cinnamaldehyde and epicatechin — may be effective in fighting the disease. According to a study by Roshni George and Donald Graves, two scientists at UC Santa Barbara, Cinnamon and epicatechin have been shown to prevent the development of the filamentous “tangles” found in the brain cells that characterize Alzheimer’s.
By protecting tau from oxidative stress, the compound, an oil (as used in our Cinnamon Tea), could inhibit the protein’s development into a mass or whole. Distilled Ceylon Cinnamon Bark Oil generally has 70% Cinnamaldehyde.
9. Weight loss Aid - Cinnamon does NOT burn away your fat. Instead what it does is keep you full or feeling full. Cinnamon is an excellent digestive. That means it helps absorb nutrient into your body far more efficiently. And that reduces the need for your body to look for food frequently. When our body has enough nutrients there is no need to hit the panic button to look for food. There is evidence that Cinnamon also regulates blood sugar spikes. When your blood sugar levels are even, there is less need to load up on food. And that may pay dividends by enabling you to gradually decrease your excessive food intake. Of course a healthy program of moderate exercise is also beneficial.
10. Menstruation - Cinnamon is effective in providing relief from menstrual discomfort and cramping. Instead of taking a commercial pain killer and muscle relaxant why not try a natural remedy? Again a word of caution. Pregnant women should NOT take Cinnamon although a cup of Cinnamon should NOT present any issues in most cases. Very large quantities of cinnamon may induce uterine contractions, which could induce miscarriage or early labor. Large doses could also depress the central nervous system without sugar.
11. Heart Diseases - While the Manganese, Calcium , Iron and Fiber present in Cinnamon is relatively large and it's effect debatable, it could still help those suffering from coronary artery disease and high blood pressure. The Mayo clinic says that there no specific evidence that cinnamon has a beneficial effect on cholesterol (and we tend to agree), but even they say it sure couldn't hurt. Manganese is instrumental in forming connective tissues, absorption of calcium, proper functioning of thyroid, sex hormones, regulating blood sugar level, and metabolism of fats and carbohydrates. A Manganese deficiency could lead to high blood pressure, heart ailments, muscular contraction, bone malformation, high cholesterol, poor eyesight, hearing trouble, severe memory loss, shivers and tremors.
12. Mouth freshener & Decay Preventer- If you drink Cinnamon Tea without sugar it will keep your mouth feeling fresh and germ free. It may also prevent tooth decay and gum disease as the strong anti-bacterial and disinfecting properties of Cinnamon keeps your mouth healthy and promotes oral hygiene. One thing to note is that Ceylon Cinnamon is sweeter and mild and not spicy like the normal cheap cassia cinnamon you get in the supermarket. That means no sugar is needed. Adding a teaspoon of lime surprisingly makes it sweeter. Not sugar sweet but pretty impressive levels of sweetness.