BEST WAY TO TAKE CINNAMON FOR DIABETES
If you are taking Cinnamon for diabetes and for blood sugar control, you need to follow a few basic steps. But do it in consultation with your doctor because he or she will know your specific medical condition.
Most physicians can be reluctant to help because they have a vested interest in supplying you with pills, tests and other medical procedures.. There is no money in a healthy person. But a good Doctor will work with you and help you to ascertain the efficacy of Cinnamon for diabetes. But here is what we know.
1. Select Ceylon Cinnamon - This is because Ceylon Cinnamon has ultra low (0.04%) coumarin levels compared to the common Cassia Cinnamon (4-8%). Excess Coumarin can cause liver damage. Click here to discover the difference between Cassia and Ceylon Cinnamon.
2. Modulate the dosage - According to the US Department of health, Cinnamon appears to be safe for most people when taken by mouth in amounts up to 6 grams daily for 6 weeks or less. We would suggest a week of rest between.
During the rest period switch to Turmeric which is another spice that reduces blood sugar levels. The recommended safe dosage per day for Turmeric is 2g (0.4 tsp). Mix it with water and drink it. Alternatively you can take Ceylon Cinnamon 5 days per a week and Turmeric 2 days per week. That seems like an easier approach.
The reason why you need to change things up is because of toxicity. If you take anything for too long, yes even Ceylon Cinnamon or Turmeric, it will build up toxicity in your system. You need to purge that natural toxic build up from time to time. Variety they they say is the spice of life.
3. Vary the intake method - Taking Cinnamon everyday can be boring, which is why you need to devise some creative ways to incorporate it into your diet. Here are a few simple ways to that.
Make a Te De Canela - This traditional Mexican drink made with Ceylon Cinnamon is world famous. It's sweet ( zero sugar) and very refreshing
Make Cinnamon Orange Water - Boil some Cinnamon sticks, let it cool and add a slice of orange and take it in your water bottle to work or the gym.
Add to Rice - Add a Ceylon Cinnamon stick when you cook rice. Gives a beautiful fragrant flavor and smell. Try our amazing Cinnamon fried rice recipe with both Ceylon Cinnamon and Turmeric.
A stick of Ceylon Cinnamon added to Asian curries adds warmth and depth to the the dish, especially a beef or chicken curry. But there are also amazing Cinnamon vegetarian dishes from Sri Lanka which adds variety. Look for some great recipes here on our web site.
Cinnamon Tea - We make the world's best Cinnamon tea made with ultra high grade Cinnamon Bark Oil. Have a cup everyday.
Sprinkle some fresh Cinnamon powder on cereal. Remember Ceylon Cinnamon is sweeter (has zero sugar) than Cassia Cinnamon so the absence of sugar is less noticeable.
Mix Cinnamon powder into some pancakes. Absolutely fantastic.
Make some Ceylon Cinnamon Rice Milk. Remember adding sugar is optional.
4. Work with a good Doctor - Remember you should always tell your doctor you are taking Cinnamon, as a precaution. Do not exceed daily limits,. Take in moderation.
5. The Coumarin in Cassia Cinnamon also causes your blood to thin, so if you are taking blood thinning medication it may cause an adverse reaction. This is not an issue with Ceylon Cinnamon with its low Coumarin content, but check with your physician. Ultimately you must balance your physicians advise with your own gut instincts.
6. A healthy program of moderate exercise is essential to get your diabetes under control. Commit to something you can do everyday. Even 5-10 minutes is enough. But if you can have regular game of Tennis or basketball so much the better. Remember when you were a kid and used to play all kinds of games? Get into that fun mode and enjoy life.
7. Get rid any processed foods. Very hard to do but if you avoid buying anything with more than 2-3 ingredients you are off to a good start. Get rid of milk which is not good for you anyway. Avoid the donuts, the cake and the Pizza. Build your food from scratch. Grind the spices, steam the fresh vegetables and prepare fresh meats and fish. Fresh is always best. Shop for food every few days so you can get fresh meat, vegetables and fruit. Don't think of this as time wasting but an opportunity to exercise and get around. Shop just enough. Don't overbuy food and waste.
8. And eat organic food wherever possible. It's is so expensive that you will pay attention to what you eat. Don't eat lots of cheap food. Eat good quality food high in nutrition but also never get into patterns of eating the same thing over and over again. Just like with Cinnamon eating too much a good thing can lead to a bad thing. So switch things up and bring diversity into what you eat. People who eat a variety of food usually tend be far healthier. Plus they have fun discovering new food. That is half the joy of living.