A wonderful light Green Bean curry with Ceylon Cinnamon from Sri Lanka. It's delicious with a bowl of white rice and slice of roasted chicken or stir fried beef cubes. The Ceylon Cinnamon and the light sprinkling of spices adds the flavor and the lime juice at the end gives it delightful fresh clean taste.
Prep Time : 15 minutes
Cook Time : 25 minutes
Serves : 3-4 people
- 1 lb of fresh green beans cut into one inch pieces
- 1 Ceylon cinnamon stick
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon raw (un roasted) curry powder
(Sri Lankan if possible)
- 5.6 oz. coconut milk
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable Oil
- Red chili powder (to taste)
- 2 green chilies sliced (remove seeds)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the black mustards seed and saute for 5 minutes until they start popping
- Add the onions, garlic and curry leaves until anc cook until the onions are golden brown or soft
- Stir in the curry powder, Ceylon Cinnamon stick, fenugreek seeds, turmeric, and salt; cook another 3 minutes. You can add the optional chili here.
- Add the green beans and 1 cup of water to the mixture and stir until evenly coated.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the beans are al dente. About 10 minutes
- Pour in the coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the salt and stir in the lime juice just before serving.
WHAT SPICES MEAN TO YOUR HEALTH
Ceylon Cinnamon - Powerful anti-oxidant, used to control blood sugar, help digestion and improve memory. High Manganese content that helps bone health and reduce joint inflammation.
Turmeric - Reduce the chance of cancer, detoxify your liver and aids in fat metabolism.
Black mustard seeds - Relieve stiffness and soreness and help digestion.
Fenugreek Seeds - Cholesterol reduction, blood sugar control in non insulin diabetics. Lessens the effect of hot flashes and mood fluctuations that are common symptoms of menopause and PMS.
Cumin - An excellent source of Iron to keep your immune system healthy.
Sri Lankan Curry Powder - Buy from Amazon
WHY CEYLON CINNAMON
Unlike ordinary Cassia Cinnamon you find in the stores, Ceylon Cinnamon has low Coumarin
levels, so it won't damage your liver, especially if you are a regular Cinnamon tea drinker. Besides Ceylon Cinnamon is mild, yet slightly sweeter. It's not spicy like store bought Cassia Cinnamon, but has hints of cloves and citrus with wonderful subtle aroma. Ceylon Cinnamon is subtle and adds to create a more complex flavors. You would never know there is Ceylon Cinnamon in this dish, unlike Cassia Cinnamon which tends to be harsh and immediately makes its presence felt and often ruins the recipe.