How much Cinnamon is safe to take on a daily basis is a question many people have asked us. While we have been prohibited by the FDA from telling you that it might work to cure or prevent certain health ailments we can tell you much Cinnamon to take in its various forms, be it Cinnamon powder, sticks or the cinnamon bark oil. Take too much cinnamon and it can have side effects as we list here. But listed below is how much Cinnamon including Ceylon Cinnamon black tea that we make that you can take.
FOUR METHODS TO CONSUME CINNAMON
- 1.2 tsp. Per Day (6g/0.2oz).
The easiest way to take. A maximum of 1.2 tsp. of Cinnamon powder per day for 5 days, followed by 2 days of rest. Our Ceylon Cinnamon powder is a premium quality powder with 1.1% essential oil content in it. Remember you should mix Cinnamon powder in food. Just swallowing it is corrosive on your stomach. Mix it in smoothies, brew it into a powder tea, add it to soups and stews.
- 1 three inch Stick Per Day (6g/0.2 oz)
- The best way is to boil it into a Cinnamon stick Tea
. That method will ensure good levels of cinnamon as the brewing process with extract all that is good in Cinnamon, especially the essential oils. You can incorporate Cinnamon in other recipes too. Keep it to one Cinnamon stick per day. Each of Cinnamon sticks weigh about 5g which is within the daily limit.
Ceylon Cinnamon Black Tea
- 1 Cup Per Day (8-12oz of liquid)
. This is our favorite method to take cinnamon infused in black tea. About 1 cup per day (1 tea bag in 8-12 oz of water) with rest on the weekend should do it. It combines all the benefits of black tea with cinnamon in a fabulous tasting Tea. Our Ceylon Cinnamon Tea is infused with Cinnamon Bark Oil, which has cinnamaldehyde. About 1 cup of Cinnamon Black Tea in the morning is perfect. Occasionally you can have an additional cup per day. It's not going to kill you, but rest from Cinnamon on the weekend. Try some brewed fresh ginger tea on the weekend.
Ceylon Cinnamon Bark Oil
- 1-3 drops Per Day
. If you want the purest of Cinnamon distilled into an oil with high levels of cinnamaldehyde, then this is what you take. Start with just one drop mixed in 8 oz. of hot water, tea and brewed ginger. Then increase to 2 drops and then 3 drops only if necessary. At just 1 drop it adds a lovely flavor. Anything more depends on your personal needs. This oil is very powerful, hot, spicy and a little sweet. Too much and your blood sugar levels may drop leaving you light headed and weak.
BEST PRACTICES FOR TAKING CINNAMON
Select Ceylon Cinnamon
- This is because Ceylon Cinnamon has ultra low (0.04%) coumarin levels compared to the common Cassia Cinnamon (4-8%). Ceylon Cinnamon is particularly popular because it has low levels of Coumarin
. compared to Cassia Cinnamon found in your grocery store. Excess Coumarin can cause liver damage. Click here
to discover the difference between Cassia and Ceylon Cinnamon.
Modulate the dosage
- According to the US Department of health
, Cinnamon appears to be safe for most people when taken by mouth in amounts up to 6 grams (1.2 tsp.) daily for 6 weeks or less with a week of rest after six weeks. We prefer and suggest you take Ceylon Cinnamon 5 days per a week with a rest on the weekends. This method offers a better routine we feel.
The reason why you need to change things up is because of toxicity. If you take anything for too long, yes even Ceylon Cinnamon will build up toxicity in your system. You need to purge that natural toxic build up from time to time. Variety they say is the spice of life.
Vary the intake method
- Taking Cinnamon everyday can be boring, which is why you need to devise some creative ways to incorporate it into your diet.
Here are a few simple ways to that. Make a Te De Canela
- This traditional Mexican drink made with Ceylon Cinnamon is World famous. It's sweet ( zero sugar) and very refreshing. Make Cinnamon Orange Water
- Boil some Cinnamon sticks, let it cool and add a slice of orange and take it in your water bottle to work or the gym. Add a Ceylon Cinnamon stick when you cook rice. Gives a beautiful fragrant flavor and aroma. Try our amazing Cinnamon fried rice
recipe with both Ceylon Cinnamon and Turmeric. A stick of Ceylon Cinnamon added to Asian curries or stews adds warmth and depth to the dish. But there are also amazing Cinnamon vegetarian dishes from Sri Lanka which adds variety. Look for some great recipes here
on our web site.